Bishop Constructions are Major Home Renovation Specialists




Bishop Constructions Demolish and Rebuild Service

We have extensive experience in the controlled demolition of houses to then rebuild them to achieve your dream outcome. Across a lot of the inner-city suburbs of Brisbane, there are the Demolition Control Precincts or DCP’s for short. A DCP intends to protect the pre-war homes in the area from demolition, maintaining the Queenslander character homes. It’s a nice sentiment, but quite often it means working with a home that requires significant restoration work due to the 100 years it’s been sitting in the Brisbane climate. Ironically, in part, it’s the Queensland climate that inspired the characteristics of the Queenslander. The large verandas, high ceilings and breezeways, all encourage the house to breathe through the hot summer days. Another key aspect is that they were constructed well above ground to avoid those large Brisbane storms.

Today we know more about the lay of the land and the locations where flooding and overland water flow occur. In many cases, council maps provide a guide to minimum habitable floor heights. However, if your home is in a DCP, it doesn’t automatically mean that you can’t demolish it. Quite often it is possible to demolish post-war homes even if in a DCP. So how does the council know if the home is post World War II or pre-war?

Council has aerial photography which was taken by the US Army during World War II. If your house doesn’t exist in these photos, chances are you can demolish it, providing you have a Building Approval to do so. Our team will be able to assist you in obtaining a building approval for this endeavour and also provide advice around what you can and can’t do if your land is in overland flow or a DCP.

Demolish and Rebuild - Bishop Constructions
House Raise at Daisy Street - Bishop Construction Services
Outdoor Extension Salisbury - Bishop Construction Services

Negotiating Brisbane City Council to complete your building plans:

So if you have a Building Approval to demolish, surely that means you have a Building Approval to construct? The answer is no, that is not the case. Quite often the older suburbs have what is called a Traditional Building Character Overlay. This means that new houses will require Town Planning approval before Building Approval is issued. Once again we will assist you with this process and also assist you in determining the types of houses that can and can’t be constructed in these Brisbane Character Overlays. Either way, if you’re thinking of re-building or wanting to renovate a Brisbane Queenslander to its former glory, then please let us help you.

    Get the Re-Building Process Started

    Our equipped Brisbane Building Design and Architect teams are handling both new homes or Brisbane renovations alike. We relish the opportunity to discuss your prospective construction projects with you and present to you a range of options on both sides of the equation so that you don’t feel railroaded into renovating or “detonating”.

    Contact Us for a Demolish and Rebuild quote today!